Once in a while I stumble upon the perfect blog post or article which I feel says exactly what I am thinking. I had that experience today when visiting Marcella Chamarro’s blog “The Perpetual Vacation”.
She wrote a post entitled “10 Things You Don’t Know About Me: A Work In Progress”. In this frank and inspiring blog post Marcella listed ten things that make her imperfect and why she acknowledges that these ten things either define her or hinder her.
So to continue this conversation I want to list ten things for you that you may not know about me. I will start by listing seven things you may not know about me from a professional perspective and then finish the list with three fun facts about me personally:
- I obsessively analyse every last detail of a project or task. When I am working on a project such as Enactus Leeds Met you will find I can be incredibly particular about the little things such as website formatting and ensuring team development is effective.
- I prefer to work alone. I have always been a very individual self-directed person who can just go and sit in a room and get on with the work. I don’t mind my own company.
- I would rather spend my evenings and weekends working then socialising. It may sound sad to say this but I am not really someone who enjoys constant socialising as my university peers do. I would much rather be working on something that helps me in the long term.
- I am never content with the end result. Not matter how much I want this to be different I simply find I cannot settle for anything less then my best. I am very harsh on myself even when others are being really positive about something I have done.
- Work never feels like work to me. In addition to the third point in this list I never feel like work (whether that be my university or extracurricular work) feels like work. I am constantly reading journals, books and newspapers because I am fascinated with business.
- I will always champion an idea I truly believe in – no matter what the cost is. Once in a blue moon I find an idea I am incredibly passionate about. The latest project I am heavily involved in supporting is Enactus because I can see its potential. I give up a lot of free time to work on ideas and projects for Enactus, however in the long run I know it will all be worth it.
- I don’t always take the time to actively listen to everyone’s ideas. This is something I am constantly working to improve. I can remember a time when I truly believed that others were wrong and I was right. I am much more considerate of others then I was which I think has come with my personal growth in the past few years.
- I met former Pixar CTO Oren Jacob at a conference in 2011. This meeting was all thanks to my involvement at a conference called SXSW with an American video blog called ”Pop17″. Sarah Austin, founder of Pop17 knew Oren and introduced me to him in our hotel lobby. It was a memorable experience.
- I have a signed copy of a book by David Verklin, former CEO of global advertising agency Carat. When I first started on the internet I was into writing about technology. After attending a media conference and picking up a copy of David Verklin’s book “Watch This, Listen Up, Click Here!”I decided to post a video review with my thoughts on the book. Much to my surprise I got an email from David Verklin requesting my shipping address to send a signed copy of the book. (Don’t worry, I made sure to double check it was definitely him!).
- My first ever single I bought on tape was Britney Spears “Hit Me Baby One More Time”. I hate to admit this but I thought it was a fun fact that many of you likely didn’t know.
So those are my ten things. Post a comment with ten interesting facts about you.